It is Teeth-safe Food Month! Food plays a pivotal role in our lives and is linked to our health in more ways than we can count. Oral health is no exception! Knowing which foods are helpful and which are harmful to your teeth is integral to keeping your smile healthy and bright.
Cavities are one of the most common dental problems, and they are often directly linked to what we eat. One of the most common causes of cavities is the consumption of refined sugar. When consumed, it is broken down by bacteria and turned into acid, which in turn dissolves the tooth enamel. The frequency of sugar consumption is actually more detrimental to your oral health than the amount of sugar you consume in one sitting because of this. So what are some of the safest ways to still enjoy your favorite sugary treats while keeping your teeth safe?
- If you want to snack, find substitutes! Many delicious snacks are much better for your teeth than candy and sweets but can still satisfy your cravings for something tasty! Try snacking on berries or yogurt – they are both sweet and good for your teeth!
- Eat sweets at a time you know you will brush soon afterward. Most people will brush their teeth pretty soon after eating a meal. Therefore, this is one of the best times to consume a sweet treat. If you’re snacking on sweets at a random time during the day, you are less likely to brush until later, and the sugar will have more time to sit on your teeth and will be more likely to damage them.
- Avoid having sugar in your mouth for an extended time. Some examples of this are soda and candies you suck on, such as lollipops. If you want to enjoy a sugary snack, a quick dessert like a piece of cake or pie is much better. When you are eating something quickly, the saliva in your mouth will be hard at work washing the debris away.
Having a healthy diet is extremely important for your oral health. The right foods keep your teeth safe and your gums and bones strong. Finding foods you enjoy that are also rich in vitamins is beneficial and not hard to do! Foods containing folic acid, calcium, vitamin B12, and vitamin C are some of the best options for strong teeth and healthy gums. Here are some of our favorite picks…
- Dairy. Dairy products such as cheese, milk, and yogurt will kill two birds with one stone. They contain both calcium and vitamin B12, which are beneficial to the health of your gums and teeth!
- Dark green leafy vegetables. When people think of calcium, they usually think of milk. However, certain leafy greens such as kale, spinach, and collard greens are chock full of calcium and will keep your teeth strong.
- Beans, seeds, and nuts. These three foods have endless uses and can enhance many meals. They also contain folic acid, which will strengthen the supporting soft tissue in your mouth.
- Meat. Meats such as chicken and fish are versatile and delicious. You can’t go wrong with either because there are so many ways to cook and season them! In addition to this, they contain vitamin B12, which is great for keeping your gums healthy.
- Citrus. Whether you prefer fresh-squeezed orange juice or peeling and eating a clementine, citrus is delicious, rich in vitamin C, and perfect for keeping your soft mouth tissue healthy.
Food allergies are unfortunately common, especially when it comes to foods such as nuts and dairy. The food items listed above are just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to food that is good for your teeth. You have so many choices and will never be bored! Making sure you eat a variety of foods with the above vitamins and minerals will strengthen both your oral health as well as your overall well-being. We can give you plenty of tips on our blog, but it’s always better to come to see us in person! Give us a call today at (903) 597-3940 to schedule an appointment!